Did you know that your email-marketing database depreciates by approximately 22.5% each year? Your subscribers’ email addresses keep changing and you should take it upon yourself, as a marketer, to add fresh contacts to your list.
- Create outstanding email content. People will stay subscribed and even forward your emails to colleagues, family, and friends if the content is remarkable.
- Encourage your list to forward and share the emails. “Email to a friend” and social media sharing buttons are effective if you want to access a fresh network.
- Conduct an online contest. This could be a giveaway where interested parties enter by submitting their email or signing up for the email list.
- Create a number of email subscription types in order to send targeted content to relevant segments of your email subscribers.
- Revitalize your stale email list by having an opt-in campaign. Is your list too old? Send an interesting opt-in message to the old list and encourage them to re-opt-in.
- Incorporate a link to employees’ signature leading potential subscribers to a landing page for them to sign up for your email-marketing list.
With New Content
- Come up with a new lead-generating offer. This could be a free ebook where interested readers have to provide a valid email address to download the book.
- Have a free resource or online tool. The users will then be required to sign up with their email to access the tool.
Using Social Media
- Use Twitter to promote your lead-generating offer. Promote a free resource like an eBook on Twitter and have followers give their emails to redeem it.
- Promote an offer on your Facebook page that requires followers to submit an email address.
- Somewhere on your Facebook page, include a call-to-action-button, preferably at the top. The button should link to a landing page which people access using their email addresses.
- Have links to premium offers published on your LinkedIn Company page.
- Promote offers where users sign up using email on Pinterest.
- Utilize your YouTube channel, if your company has one. Include URLs and CTAs in your videos encouraging viewers to sign up for your email list.
- Use your Google+ page for promotional offers.
On Your Website
- Throughout your website have links that lead back to offers that need email sign up. Subscription options should be sprinkled all over the website.
- When guest blogging, incorporate a CTA and links for readers to subscribe and join your list.
With A Partner
- Running a campaign on a partner newsletter or website will help you reach a new audience and it is a fresh source of addresses.
- Join a partner and host a co-marketing offer like a webinar or ebook.
With Traditional Marketing/Advertising
- Offline events such as trade shows are great places to collect email addresses. Later, send them a welcome email to confirm their opt-in.
- Host offline events such as conferences, educational panels, and meet-ups, among other events, where you collect email addresses during online registrations.
- Encourage prospects to opt out of traditional marketing campaign and opt in email communication.
- Host webinars online and collect emails during registration.
- Utilize paid search ads and link back to a landing page.
- Include a QR code in your print marketing collateral for people to scan and join your email database.
A 2014 survey found that email marketing has the highest ROI compared to other marketing channels when it comes to web-based businesses. Given the results of that survey, instead of wondering whether you should build an email marketing list you should be asking yourself how to create one right now. Content upgrades are the difference between a 6% and a 60% conversion rate.
This is how you do it: create a new blog post, write in-depth content, then offer your readers the option to access upgraded content when they provide their email. Take advantage of their interest in the topic. Send blog posts to your list in the hope that you will get click-through to your site and generate traffic. Although having multiple links may cause less clicks on the one you want, if they click on the share button you are likely to get clicks from several visitors (even if your subscribers do not click and read your blog themselves).
Engaging people more increases the likelihood of having them subscribe to your email list. Ensure that the prize is appealing and have value to your audience. Offer bonuses for referrals and guaranteed incentives for those that will not win, maybe a free resource. Almost all high-traffic websites have opt-in incentives.
It is usually a white paper, eBook, resource list, a free software tool or just any content. All these are incentives for giving up email addresses. Tests and experiments have proven that pop-ups cause a steady increase in subscribers even though they can be annoying. They are very easy to implement and their results are insane.
Social proof is a powerful tool. 63% of customers are more likely to buy from a highly rated site. It is more influential than saving money. In social proof, bigger numbers are more impressive. To make a bigger number, add the number of your email subscribers to that of Twitter followers, Facebook, and any other platform followers, then throw in the total number somewhere whenever you need to make a statement.
When you name drop big names, even people who are new to your area of expertise will not need to know anything else about you. They will assume right away that you are a guru. Strive to have just one credible name and work with it.
If your customers are happy and satisfied, they will want to spread the happiness to their friends and colleagues. Instead of just asking them, offer them a bonus they cannot resist. Why are celebrities paid crazy rates for endorsements? There is a lot they can do to drive conversions. To partner with the big shots you can:
- Use the poster boy method
- Fill a need for a fee
- Work with tomorrow’s influencers
Speeding up your site should be a top priority. 40% of visitors are likely to leave your website after two seconds of load time. A great webinar might only take 15 minutes to record. They are way more captivating than the usual videos because of their limited run time.