YouTube marketing is a great idea but there are over 50 million YouTube content creators. One way to be successful is to make sure that your content stands out.
Another way is to reach and engage your target audience. Most YouTube viewers don’t like ads, so you have to be creative about creating brand awareness and entertaining them at the same time.
YouTube Marketing Strategy
This a 10-step strategy.
Create Your Business YouTube Channel
First, you will need a Brand Account on Google. The regular Google account only allows one person to log in. With a Brand Account, several Google accounts can sign in at the same time, as long as they are authorized.
Research Your Audience
When you open a business YouTube account, you will be able to access the Analytics tab and se your channel stats. You can check your interaction rate, revenue generated, average watch time and view counts.
The Analytics tab displays your subscriber demographics too which is really valuable data. With this information, you will no longer have to rely on assumptions.
Research the Competition
Most of the information you will need is already on the competitors’ channels.
Check the channels and see the least and most viewed videos. The videos will let you know what the audience likes and what they are not interested in.
Don’t forget to read the comments as well and the video descriptions for keywords.
Borrow Ideas from Your Favorite Channel
Why do you love your favorite YouTube channels so much? What grabs your attention every time?
Studying your favorite YouTuber reveals the practices and techniques they use to boost engagement.
Optimize Videos for SEO
YouTube SEO is very important. Here are some helpful tips:
- Choose a catchy title and include the right keywords.
- Make your thumbnail interesting.
- Make the video description compelling.
- Add hashtags to the description.
- Add watermarks, bumper ads and cards.
- Ask your viewers to subscribe.
Schedule and Upload Your Videos
Be consistent and professional while sharing videos. Let your viewers know when you will be uploading new videos and make sure you do it at that time to earn their trust. Pick a specific day of the week.
Optimize the Channel
A consistent experience on your channel will attract more viewers and convert them into subscribers. So make sure you:
- Fill out your profile.
- Organize your videos.
- Translate videos into other languages.
There are different ad formats on YouTube. Whichever one you choose, ensure that you create catchy ads. Keep it short and sweet.
Maybe Work with an Influencer
Viewers trust their favorite influencers. The right influencer can quickly boost your brand. Don’t control the partnership. Let the influencer do their thing naturally.
Assess and Adapt
Always keep an eye on YouTube Analytics. See how your numbers are changing. Another thing: read your comments!
How to Create Great YouTube Videos
- Follow the video specifications.
- Invest in good equipment.
- Capture attention early.
- Remember your mobile users.
- Upload longer videos.
- Add live-streaming events.
- Include end screens.
The YouTube algorithm often decides what viewers will watch. Over 80% of viewers will watch what YouTube recommends.
If you are trying to build your brand or increase your number of views, then the YouTube algorithm is very important.
YouTube is not usually transparent with advertisers or creators about how everything works. So this article will focus on the history of its priorities.
A Brief History
In 2005, the first ever YouTube video was uploaded. Today, 500 hours of video are uploaded every minute. How does YouTube recommend videos to its 2 billion users?
2005 to 2012: View Count
The videos that got more clicks are the one that got rewarded.
2012: Watch Time
Priority was given to videos that held users’ attention for long.
2016: Machine Learning
The details here were not revealed. But it is clear that it was based on the perceived satisfaction of viewers.
2016 to 2020: Brand Safety, Demonetization, Borderline Content
According to YouTube, they are trying to strike a balance between freedom of speech and curbing the spread of dangerous information.
How the Algorithm Works in 2020
YouTube says that their algorithm tailors the videos to suit each viewer’s interests.
The algorithm has two goals:
- To recommend the ideal video for every viewer.
- To ensure that viewers continue watching.
It impacts the recommendation streams and search results.
How It Influences Search Results
Two people may search for the exact same thing and get very different results. These results depend on:
- The engagement on your videos (watch time, comments, likes)
- The metadata of your videos (keywords, description, title) and how they match a user’s question
How It Influences Recommended Videos
The process is twofold.
First, videos are ranked based on their performance analytics data.
Secondly, the videos are recommended based on a viewer’s watch history.
How Does YouTube Determine the Algorithm?
As already mentioned, the details are barely known. But YouTube has highlighted factors that influence the process:
- Whether or not people click to watch a video (the title and thumbnail are key here)
- Retention or watch time (for how long people watch the video)
- The rate of growth or velocity, that is, the rate at which the popularity of a video snowballs
- The age of a video (newer videos may be given more attention to see whether they will snowball)
- The frequency at which a channel uploads videos
- Session time (how long people continue to stay on a platform after they are done watching the video)
When a video is matched to a viewer, the next thing is personalization.
- What topics and channels do they watch?
- What do they have a history of engaging with?
- For how long do they watch?
- What don’t they like?
Improving Your Organic Search: 7 Tips
- Optimize the description text of your video.
- Note what works and keep using it.
- Publish regularly.
- Know the perfect time to drop a new video.
- Make the entire video engaging.
- Don’t forget to engage with your viewers.
- Convert viewers into subscribers.