‘Solo’ box office struggles may have doomed future ‘Star Wars’ spinoffs

Entertainment

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” may be the last “Star Wars Story” that Lucasfilm ever tells.

The production company has reportedly put plans for future standalone movies on hold following Solo’s dismal box office performance.

The spinoff was expected to rake in over $100 million domestically during opening week, much like it’s predecessor — “Rogue One” — did in 2016, when it opened to $155 million.

Solo wound up making just $84.4 million in the US its first weekend and $339.6 million worldwide over the next four weeks — with experts predicting a $50-80 million loss for Disney when all is said and done. Rogue One, meanwhile, made $424 million during its first four weeks in the US alone.

Sources close to Lucasfilm told Collider on Wednesday that they were putting all future Star Wars stories on the back burner as a result of the disappointing box office returns. This includes the previously rumored Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett films, which would’ve focused on the characters’ lives before “A New Hope,” the sources said.

Solo told the backstory of Han Solo, one of the original trilogy’s most beloved characters.

According to Collider, Lucasfilm will be focusing on “Star Wars: Episode IX” from here on out — which is slated to open in theaters next Christmas — and the new Star Wars trilogy that was announced late last year.

 

The company will also be working on a completely separate series of films, which will feature new characters and “be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed” by Johnson, who directed “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” The movies are being written and produced by “Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

 

 

https://nypost.com/2018/06/20/solo-box-office-struggles-may-have-doomed-future-star-wars-spinoffs/